Friday, January 10, 2014

Winter Layers

Hello everyone! It's been warming up slowly here, and I think it is expected to be a pretty mild weekend around here which is great news since it's my last weekend at home before heading back to school for the spring semester. I am so excited and can't wait to be back in the city with all my friends. I wanted to get at least one more post while I'm here and have the comfort of shooting in my own room instead of a cramped dorm, so I put together this little guide for layering which is a life saver in the winter. Some of my friends have joked that I only like layering because it gives me an excuse to wear all my favorite clothes at once, which I have to admit is true. But in the winter I love it even more because it's a great way to stay warm. The other great thing about it is it's an easy way to switch up your outfits, even when you're using the same basic template everyday.

My go-to winter "template" for putting together outfits is simple but I can use a lot of my clothes with it and it allows me to be a little creative when getting ready in the mornings. First, I start with a simple tank top and skirt. Skirts are great for layering because they add a little interest with the way your shirts and sweaters lay on them, and they are of course a great way to rock my biggest winter essential- socks!

These socks are the same ones I wore in this post on Christmas and I have been loving them. They are soft and stay up which is huge! So many of my tall socks will get bunched or droop down at the top and I'm having to constantly pull them up. Any kind of tall socks- patterned or plain, knee high or thigh high, are a great choice when adding interest to an outfit and help with the layered look by breaking up your legs. To add another level of layering you could choose boots that aren't the same color as the socks, however today I chose black boots because I loved the way they made the outfit a little more grungy.

On top, I added an old flannel that I've gotten a lot of use out of this winter. It is super warm and comfy, and I love the boyishness it adds to the girly skirt. It also provides a nice pattern and some great color to the outfit. here I also added some necklaces, my favorite wishbone necklace and a longer spike necklace, both from Forever 21.

To keep warm I added one last layer- my go-to gray sweater that I wear constantly. I bought this over the summer from PacSun and I love wearing it out or if I'm just lounging in my room. It is the perfect layering piece for me because I love the dark (but not too dark) color and the soft material. I also love the way it drapes which is important for your top layer, because you don't want to look bulky with all those layers. I cuffed my flannel sleeves over my sweater sleeves to let that pattern peek through a bit more.



In the pictures below you'll also see I have on a pair of tights under my socks for some extra warmth and a little fun pattern in the back. I love this outfit because it's both girly and grungy, and I will definitely be wearing it on campus this semester.


Sweater: Pac Sun, Flannel: Hollister, Tank top: H&M, Skirt: Forever 21, Tights: Urban Outfitters, Socks: Unknown (gifted), Shoes: TJ Maxx, Necklaces: Forever 21

No comments:

Post a Comment