Sunday, February 2, 2014

Business Casual?

Hello! It's been another hectic week of classes, club meetings, and design projects. I was so grateful for a wonderful day of doing nothing yesterday but today I dove right back into things with an interview with a "business casual" dress code. I haven't had much experience with this way of dressing so I gave it my best shot and ended up getting a lot of compliments! I think the most important thing to remember with any dress code is to wear what makes you confident. As long as you like what you're wearing and aren't breaking any major rules you'll be fine.
With business casual there are two main guidelines: no jeans, and no revealing tops. Other than that it's pretty much up to you, which I know freaked me out at first. The outfit I settled on was simple but had hints of my own personal style. I started with the basics: a gray skirt, black tights, and a striped button down. As you can see from the pictures, the skirt got a bit wrinkled but thankfully not until after the interview. If you're dressing for an interview or presentation, remember to always wear comfortable clothes that won't start acting high maintenance halfway through. Nothing is worse than trying to impress people with an itchy tag or wrinkly blouse bothering you.
To add my own touch to the outfit I buttoned the shirt all the way up and added my silver spiked necklace which always adds a bit of edge to my outfits. To keep the silver theme going I added my favorite rings. The hearts ring was a gift from my stepdad for my graduation, and the black pearl ring was also a gift, but from my mother for my eighteenth birthday. I always love wearing little mementos during a situation where I think I'll need a little courage. Having gifts from my parents is always comforting.
For shoes I went with my go-to boots with red knee high socks bunched down around my ankles to add some color to my mainly black and white ensemble. Overall, I would definitely wear this again if needed.


Shirt: Forever 21, Skirt: Tobi, Tights: H&M, Socks: Goldtoe, Boots: Famous Footwear, Necklace: Forever 21, Hearts ring: Tiffany & Co, Pearl ring: Justin Bortz, Midi rings: American Eagle


No comments:

Post a Comment